Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Review of: Apple MacBook with Aluminum Case

Though I have not owned a lot of computers, I have owned enough to know the difference between a few popular brands of laptops. The Dell I owned crashed fairly quickly (and eventually was fried by a water spill, later resurrected by a friend with a lot more computer skill than me). A Compaq I owned had to go to the shop 3 times (two weeks each) for a broken fan, screen, and just as the warranty was expiring, a new motherboard. But, I have personally seen an Apple laptop last a good 9 years. So, I finally bought one.

I have to say that though it takes a little adjusting to the operating system (from pc), Apple’s work great. I can see why so many people are devoted to the company (and the ipod helps, too, I imagine). Really, this thing I’m writing on is just great. But for one thing.

I recently moved into an apartment building that offers free internet. This has helped save on internet and landline costs. But, the signal isn’t as strong as a personal line. My computer has a hard time finding and holding onto the internet signal, which is very frustrating when trying to watch The Daily Show on Hulu or a skate vid on Transworld’s site. One of the first days of this frustration I frantically searched the internet to see if there were some way I could better pick up the signal. And, yes, it was when my computer wasn’t picking up a good signal which in turn turned into a cursing fit. I do own movies I could watch on my computer, for crying out loud (the new Hulk, for one). But it’s the principle.

So, I finally found a chat site that mentioned that the aluminum Apples have notoriously bad reception because of the aluminum case. What, wait, what? Then why have it? Will it better protect me from a bullet? Can it be taken apart and makeshifted into a plane? Not that internet access (airport) is one of the most used functions on a computer or anything. So it goes. I have about a 5 hour blackout period where it’s nearly impossible to get online (probably too many people using). A good time to read a book. And, it looks like Man vs Wild on Netflix will just have to be a late night treat.

So, Apple with aluminum case, you are great, but have one flaw: you can dodge a bullet.

4 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger Molly Gaudry said...

I love my MacBook. One day yours will save your life--it won't dodge, but take that bullet for you. Can see it now. Cheers.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Michael Rerick said...

You know, it does seem selfless. I think it needs a name... something like C3PO or R2D2. Maybe MB?

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger CLAUDINE BARROWS said...

I love Macs, but they can't pick up a signal for shit.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Sommer said...

i suggest bruce lee. will you and k get a beer with me?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home